8673

Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

Blowback - Valerie Plame Wilson, Sarah Lovett, Negin Farsad
In Defense of a Liberal Education - Fareed Zakaria
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Open Culture: Smithsonian Digitizes & Lets You Download 40,000 Works of Asian and American Art

"Like many major museums all over the world—including the National Gallery, the Rijksmuseum, The British Library, and over 200 others—the [Smithsonian's] Freer/Sackler [Galleries] has made its collection, all of it, available to view online. You can also download much of it. [...]

As Freer/Sackler director Julian Raby describes the initiative, “We strive to promote the love and study of Asian art, and the best way we can do so is to free our unmatched resources for inspiration, appreciation, academic study, and artistic creation.” There are, writes the galleries’ website, Bento, “thousands of works now ready for you to download, modify, and share for noncommercial purposes.” More than 40,000, to be fairly precise.

You can browse the collection to your heart’s content by “object type,” topic, name, place, date, or “on view.” Or you can conduct targeted searches for specific items. In addition to centuries of art from all over the far and near East, the collection includes a good deal of 19th century American art."

Direct link for the Freer & Sackler collection - http://www.asia.si.edu/collections/edan/default.cfm (hint: always "clear search", before browsing e.g. by name)

Source: http://www.openculture.com/2015/06/smithsonian-digitizes-lets-you-download-40000-works-of-asian-and-american-art.html