7879

Recently Added

The Tales of Max Carrados - Stephen Fry, Ernest Bramah
The Sinking Admiral - Simon Brett, The Detection Club
The Coffin Trail - Martin Edwards
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

The Twelve Tasks of the Festive Season -- TA's Reading List (& Matching Activities)

Thanks to Moonlight Reader and Obsidian Blue for hosting yet another great game ... this looks like so much fun (again)! -- I'm probably going to try pairing activities and reads whenever possible, so I'm going to include all the activities in my list below, too, in addition to my reading choices:

Task the First: The Winter Wonderland:

- Reading: A book that is set in a snowy place: Dylan Thomas - A Child's Christmas in Wales (audio version, read by the author himself)

- Activity: Take a walk outside and post a picture of something pretty you encountered on your way.

Task the Second: The Silent Nights:

- Reading: A book set in one of the Nordic countries: Rose Tremain - Music and Silence, Kurt Aust - Das jüngste Gericht (The Last Judgment), or Åke Edwardson - Frozen Tracks

- Activity: Hygge: Put on your fuzziest socks, light a candle, and spend some time (reading) in front of the fireplace or your coziest nook. Post a picture if you want.

Task the Third: The Holiday Party:

- Reading: A book where a celebration is a big part of the action: Rex Stout - And Four to Go

- Activity: Make something that is considered party food where you are from, and post a picture of it on Booklikes.

Task the Fourth: The Gift Card:

- Reading: A book that you either received as a gift or have given as a gift: Since my recent birthday presents were almost all books, something from my birthday haul -- most likely either Ilija Trojanow - Der Weltensammler (The Collector of Worlds), Edwidge Danticat - Claire of the Sea Light, Jim Butcher - The Aeronaut's Windlass, Val McDermid - Splinter the Silence, Michael Connelly - The Crossing or Ian Rankin - Even Dogs in the Wild ... all of these are books I'd been planning to read sometime soon anyway. I may also be using some of these for other tasks, though (see, e.g., "Kwanzaa" and "Hanukkah").

- Activity: Give a book to a friend and post a picture of the wrapped present.

Task the Fifth: The Kwanzaa:

- Reading: A book written by an African-American author or set in an African country: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Half of a Yellow Sun, or possibly Ilija Trojanow - Der Weltensammler (The Collector of Worlds) (see also "gift card").

- Activity: Make a donation to a charitable organization that operates in Africa.

Task the Sixth: The Hanukkah:

- Reading: Let the dreidel choose a book for you (note: I'm going to spin the dreidel when I'm actually getting ready to do this task):

נ  Nun (miracle): Christopher Paolini - Eldest (audio version read by Kerry Shale)

ג Gimel (great): Arthur Conan Doyle - The Valley of Fear (audio version read by Simon Vance)

ה He (happened): Ian Rankin - Even Dogs in the Wild (see also "gift card")

ש Shin (there, i.e. Israel): J.R.R. Tolkien - Letters From Father Christmas

- Activity: Make a traditional Hanukkah food like doughnuts or potato latkes. Post a picture, or tell us how they turned out.

Task the Seventh: The Christmas:

- Reading: A book set during the Christmas holiday season: Donna Andrews - The Nightingale Before Christmas

- Activity: Set up a Christmas bookstagram-style scene with favorite holiday reads, objects or decorations. Possibly also a cat.

Task the Eighth: The Movie Ticket:

- Reading: A book that has been adapted to a holiday movie: Frances Hodgson Burnett - Little Lord Fauntleroy (The screen adaptation starring Alec Guinness and Ricky Schroder is one of the Christmas staples on German TV.)

- Activity: Go see a new theater release this holiday season (this does not have to be a holiday movie).

Task the Ninth: The Happy New Year:

- Reading: (A coming of age novel or) any old favorite comfort read: Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol (audio version performed by Patrick Stewart)

- Activity: Post a holiday picture of yourself from your childhood or youth.

Task the Tenth: The Holiday Down Under:

- Reading: A book set in Australia or by an Australian author (or a book you would consider a "beach read"): Thomas Keneally - Office of Innocence, Kerry Greenwood - Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates, or Peter Temple - Bad Debts

- Activity: Buy some Christmas crackers (or make your own) to add to your festivities and share some pictures.

Task the Eleventh: The Polar Express:

- Reading: A book that involves train travel: Martha Grimes - The Train Now Departing, or Agatha Christie - Murder on the Orient Express or The Mystery of the Blue Train

- Activity: Read a classic holiday book from your childhood, or tell a story about a childhood Christmas you'd like to share.

Task the Twelfth: The Wassail Bowl:

- Reading: A book set in the UK, preferably during the medieval or Victorian periods: Mary Stewart - The Crystal Cave

- Activity: Drink a festive, holiday beverage; take a picture of your drink, and post it to share - make it as festive as possible.