8672

Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

In Defense of a Liberal Education - Fareed Zakaria
Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

The Twelve Tasks of the Festive Season -- Task the Ninth: The Happy New Year

A Christmas Carol (Audiocd) - Patrick Stewart, Charles Dickens

- Every year you get a little bit older! Read a coming of age novel or any old favorite comfort read to start the new year right.

- If you're feeling brave, post a holiday picture of yourself from your childhood or misspent youth.

For Part 1 of this task I listened to the audio version one of my annual holiday reads, Charles Dickens's Christmas Carol, performed by Patrick Stewart.  I already reviewed it, and the TV adaptation starring Mr. Stewart as Scrooge, last year -- but it really can't be said often enough what a phantastic reading this is.  Nothing like RSC training, coupled with enormous acting sensibility and empathy for all the story's characters, for bringing this classic to life!  No doubt I'll be revisiting Messrs. Scrooge and Stewart again for Christmas ... and for many years to come.

As for Part 2 of this task, eh voilà!

Age 4:

Christmas 1968:With my mom and my grandpa (and a new favorite doll)

Christmas 1968:With my grandma (and the selfsame doll)

Christmas 1968:
With my then-best friend: I actually had piano lessons at the time, but unlike the adults in attendance we thought it much greater fun to just hammer away at those keys wildly, at random, and as loud as we possibly could!

Age 6:

Christmas 1970:What a difference two years make ... and oh, how I hated those glasses.

Age 8:

Christmas 1972:Glasses gone again.  For the time being ... alas, they'd come back with a vengeance in my adult years, and there's unfortunately no way I'm getting rid of them again now.