8025

Recently Added

The Name of Annabel Lee - Julian Symons
Tour de Force - Christianna Brand
Quai des Orfèvres - Stanislas-André Steeman
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 2 - Bon Om Touk

Tasks for Bon Om Touk: Post a picture from your most recent or favorite vacation on the sea (or a lake, river, or any other body of water larger than a puddle), or if you're living on the sea or on a lake or a river, post a picture of your favorite spot on the shore / banks / beach / at the nearest harbour.

I spent the last couple of days of my trip to England back in July on the Norfolk coast, so here are a few impressions from that part of the trip:

Snettisham Beach

Wells next the Sea

Cromer Hall (inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyle's Baskerville Hall)

Norfolk Broads -- cruise in a historic steam boat

Horsey Windpump & Horsey Mew

Happisburgh beach & church (inspiration for the setting of P.D. James's Devices and Desires, and Arthur Conan Doyle's Dancing Men)

King's Lynn (town center, purfleet, and guild hall)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And since I am blessed to live (and have grown up) in a beautiful part of the Rhine Valley, here are a few of my favorite spots on the Rhine in and near my home city:

Views of Bonn's city center from "our" (= the opposite) river front

Historic flood marker on the river front, and a replica of "the Bridge Manniquin", which used to be on a pillar on our side the main bridge connecting both sides of the Rhine, pointing its backside in the direction of Bonn.  Other places have city rivalry -- we have river bank rivalry!

Sunset on the Rhine, looking towards Bonn

Looking towards the "Seven Mountains" ("Siebengebirge"), south of Bonn

Drachenfels, the best-known of the "Seven Mountains"

Arp Museum, a modern arts museum south of Bonn (designed by Richard Meier, the architect who designed the L.A. Getty Center) -- and looking back towards the "Seven Mountains" from the patio of the museum restaurant (the lower of the two buildings in the left picture; a former train station)

Remagen and the ruins of the bridge (now a peace museum)