11291

Progress: 612/928 pages
The Mirror and the Light
Hilary Mantel

Recently Added

Memoir and Poems of Phillis Wheatley, a Native African and a Slave - Phillis Wheatley, Melissa Summers
The Diaries of Adam and Eve - Walter Cronkite, Betty Buckley, Mandy Patinkin, Mark Twain
Quidditch Through the Ages - Full Cast, Andrew Lincoln, J.K. Rowling
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Fifth Square - Advent (December 3 and following three Sundays)

This, again, may be the "16 Festive Tasks" equivalent to carrying coals to Newcastle, but anyway ...:

Advent is a season observed in many Christian churches as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.  The term is a version of the Latin word meaning "coming".  Advent is the beginning of the Western liturgical year and commences on the fourth Sunday before Christmas (sometimes known as Advent Sunday), the Sunday nearest to St. Andrew's Day (November 30), in the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church and, inter alia, in the Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Methodist calendars. – Practices associated with Advent include keeping an Advent calendar, lighting an Advent wreath, praying an Advent daily devotional, as well as other ways of preparing for Christmas, such as setting up Christmas decorations.

As Advent involves four Sundays, we’ve assigned one square to this period, with the four Sundays (and four candles on the Advent wreath) corresponding with four sets of tasks.

The Reading Tasks:

Read

(1) a book with a wreath or with pines or fir trees on the cover; or

(2) the 4th book from a favorite series, or a book featuring 4 siblings, or a book involving a countdown to something.

–OR–

Other Tasks:

(1) Post a picture of your advent calendar, if you have one.  (Festive cat, dog, hamster or other suitable pet background expressly encouraged.)

(2) Tell us: What in the immediate or near future are you most looking forward to?  (This can be a book release, or a tech gadget, or an event … whatever you next expect to make you really happy.)

Bonus task: make your own advent calendar and post it.