8771

John le Carré
Thomas McNamee
Detective Inspector Huss
Helene Tursten
Gilded Needles (Valancourt 20th Century Classics)
Christopher Fowler, Michael McDowell, Mike Mignola
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
Merlin Trilogy
Mary Stewart
Progress: 340/928 pages

Recently Added

Gilded Needles - Michael McDowell, R.C. Bray
Hunter and Hunted: The Ed and Am Hunter Novels (Frederic Brown Mystery Library) - Fredric Brown
The Fabulous Clipjoint - Fredric Brown
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 13 - Christmas: All the Right Feels

The Santa Klaus Murder - Mavis Doriel Hay The Santa Klaus Murder - Mavis Doriel Hay, Anne Dover, Gordon Griffin

Of all of my Christmas reads this year to date, I can't think of a more fitting candidate for the Christmas holiday book bonus joker.  This is a nicely plotted Golden Age country house holiday party mystery, with decidedly more likeable than non-likeable characters, a light enough touch to make the non-likeable characters gentle satires rather than gratingly annoying or rough-hewn bores, all the Christmas feels (which are maintained until the very end), decent enough writing ... and, I mean, seriously, can you beat that title?  Call me sentimental, but I did enjoy this enormously.

P.S.: As an aside, I also truly enjoyed the narration by Gordon Griffin, one of the audiobook narrators of the very first hour ... and in case you didn't know, also the guy whose voice tells you to "Mind The Gap" when you're travelling on the London Underground.