8842

Recently Added

Two Kinds of Truth - Michael Connelly, Titus Welliver
The Clock Strikes Twelve  - Diana Bishop, Patricia Wentworth
The Late Show - Michael Connelly
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 13 - Christmas: All the Right Feels

The Santa Klaus Murder - Mavis Doriel Hay The Santa Klaus Murder - Mavis Doriel Hay, Anne Dover, Gordon Griffin

Of all of my Christmas reads this year to date, I can't think of a more fitting candidate for the Christmas holiday book bonus joker.  This is a nicely plotted Golden Age country house holiday party mystery, with decidedly more likeable than non-likeable characters, a light enough touch to make the non-likeable characters gentle satires rather than gratingly annoying or rough-hewn bores, all the Christmas feels (which are maintained until the very end), decent enough writing ... and, I mean, seriously, can you beat that title?  Call me sentimental, but I did enjoy this enormously.

P.S.: As an aside, I also truly enjoyed the narration by Gordon Griffin, one of the audiobook narrators of the very first hour ... and in case you didn't know, also the guy whose voice tells you to "Mind The Gap" when you're travelling on the London Underground.