10579

Recently Added

Richard of Bordeaux: A Play in Two Acts - Gordon Daviot
The Wrath and the Dawn - Ariana Delawari, Renee Ahdieh
The Raven Tower - Ann Leckie
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

The Rhine on Fire

(Source)

"Rhein in Flammen" ("The Rhine on Fire", or "The Rhine up in Flames") is an annual event, inaugurated in the 1980s I think, linking the towns along the Rhine, all the way from Koblenz to Bonn, by a chain of fireworks.   The whole thing gets kicked off in Koblenz as soon as night has fallen, and finishes in Bonn at some point after 11:00pm.  You can follow along by boat -- there's a regular train of pleasure boats offering "Rhein in Flammen" cruises, with on-board entertainment etc. ... or you just pick one location to watch from (of course, there's a carnival atmosphere on the shore as well, with food and drink vendors, carnival rides, and what have you).  Here are some impressions (not my own photos) from this year's fireworks in Bonn, which just ended.

More photos here and here.