10565

Wilkie Collins

Recently Added

Death in Kashmir: A Mystery - M.M. Kaye, Shibani Ghosh
Thomas Cromwell: A Life - Diarmaid MacCulloch, David Rintoul
Lone Survivor: The Incredible True Story of Navy SEALs Under Siege - Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Brilliant

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus - Margaret Atwood, Laural Merlington The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood

Irreverent, insightful, funny, deeply humane and empathetic.

The myth of Odysseus is one of my favorite parts of Greek mythology: in telling it from the perspective of Penelope -- with a good bit about Penelope's childhood and youth, and her and Odysseus's marriage thrown in for good measure, as well as with her 12 slain maids acting as a very Greek chorus -- Atwood turns it inside out, gives it a feminist spin, and puts it together again in her very own way.  And Laurel Merlington's narration is sheer genius ... if you're into Greek mythology and audiobooks, get the audio version now.  (If you're not into audiobooks but into Greek mythology, still get the edition of your choice.)

Absolutely loved every second of it.