10579

Recently Added

Richard of Bordeaux: A Play in Two Acts - Gordon Daviot
The Wrath and the Dawn - Ariana Delawari, Renee Ahdieh
The Raven Tower - Ann Leckie
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Reading progress update: I've read 69 out of 190 pages.

The Solitary Summer - Elizabeth von Arnim

Fatal objections to the candidacy of new parsons for the living becoming vacant on the estate:

"One was too old, another not old enough; another had twelve children, and the parsonage only allows for eight; one had a shrewish wife, and another was of Liberal tendencies in politics -- a fatal objection; one was in money difficulties because he would spend more than he had, which was not surprising when one heard what he did have; and another was disliked in his parish because he and his wife were too close-fisted and would not spend at all ..."

And they say the princess in King Thrushbeard was picky.

Also -- imagine living in a time when having twelve kids is a problem because your house only has room for eight ...