8842

Recently Added

Two Kinds of Truth - Michael Connelly, Titus Welliver
The Clock Strikes Twelve  - Diana Bishop, Patricia Wentworth
The Late Show - Michael Connelly
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 2 - Guy Fawkes Night, Task 3 (Favorite "Food Flambé" Recipe)

(Photo source)

My favorite dessert at a restaurant my mom and I used to like to go to when I was in high school -- they would prepare this at the table, individually for each person, so the recipe as we wrote it down one day is for one serving:

Vanilla Ice Cream with Flambé Cherries

Fry up (ideally in a copper pan if you have one) almond flakes (ca. 1 tablespoon) with enough sugar to lightly caramelize.  Add 1 teaspoon of butter, 1 cup of orange juice and the juice of 1/2 lemon.  Mix and briefly let sizzle.  Add 1 cup of cherries (preserved, but without their juice), mix again and let simmer (5 minutes max).  Douse with Grand Marnier or rum and set aflame; when the flames have burned off, add a dash of maraschino or amaretto.  Pour over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!