10823

Currently Reading

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
Tom Reiss, Paul Michael
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Recently Added

Blindsight - Peter Watts
A First-Class Temperament: The Emergence of Franklin Roosevelt, 1905-1928 - Geoffrey C. Ward
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival - Velma Wallis
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 2 - Guy Fawkes Night, Task 3 (Favorite "Food Flambé" Recipe)

(Photo source)

My favorite dessert at a restaurant my mom and I used to like to go to when I was in high school -- they would prepare this at the table, individually for each person, so the recipe as we wrote it down one day is for one serving:

Vanilla Ice Cream with Flambé Cherries

Fry up (ideally in a copper pan if you have one) almond flakes (ca. 1 tablespoon) with enough sugar to lightly caramelize.  Add 1 teaspoon of butter, 1 cup of orange juice and the juice of 1/2 lemon.  Mix and briefly let sizzle.  Add 1 cup of cherries (preserved, but without their juice), mix again and let simmer (5 minutes max).  Douse with Grand Marnier or rum and set aflame; when the flames have burned off, add a dash of maraschino or amaretto.  Pour over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!