11222

Progress: 612/928 pages
The Mirror and the Light
Hilary Mantel

Recently Added

The Stories of Eva Luna - Isabel Allende, Cynthia Farrell, Samantha Desz, Timothy Andres Pabon, Gibson Frazier, Joy Osmanski
Jeeves in the Offing - P.G. Wodehouse, Ian Carmichael
Flowers For The Judge - Margery Allingham, David     Thorpe
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 2 - Guy Fawkes Night, Task 3 (Favorite "Food Flambé" Recipe)

(Photo source)

My favorite dessert at a restaurant my mom and I used to like to go to when I was in high school -- they would prepare this at the table, individually for each person, so the recipe as we wrote it down one day is for one serving:

Vanilla Ice Cream with Flambé Cherries

Fry up (ideally in a copper pan if you have one) almond flakes (ca. 1 tablespoon) with enough sugar to lightly caramelize.  Add 1 teaspoon of butter, 1 cup of orange juice and the juice of 1/2 lemon.  Mix and briefly let sizzle.  Add 1 cup of cherries (preserved, but without their juice), mix again and let simmer (5 minutes max).  Douse with Grand Marnier or rum and set aflame; when the flames have burned off, add a dash of maraschino or amaretto.  Pour over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!