8890

Recently Added

Desert Heat - J.A. Jance, Hillary Huber
Sanctuary - Agatha Christie
Rausch - Iris Berben, Irène Némirovsky
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Never Again

Munich today -- an art installation entitled "Never Again", centering on 3,000 poppies.

I don't have any photos of our family members who perished in WWI.  So representative of all of those lives lost to the devastating wars of the 20th century, I'm going to share the last photo we have of my mother's eldest cousin, the son of my maternal grandfather's eldest sister; taken July 15, 1944.  At age 18, he was drafted into Hitler's madcap final, futile attempt to fend off defeat, and was killed barely two months after this photo was taken, in September 1944, not even 19 years old.

Allied troups in the freezing 1914 trenches:

More WWI photos here: http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/bilder/news/Diese-historischen-Fotos-zeigen-den-Ersten-Weltkrieg-article3976879.html

(Never mind the German legends; the images speak for themselves.)

The WWI armistice centenary around the world: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/11/centenary-end-of-world-war-i/575224/