10823

Currently Reading

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
Tom Reiss, Paul Michael
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Recently Added

Blindsight - Peter Watts
A First-Class Temperament: The Emergence of Franklin Roosevelt, 1905-1928 - Geoffrey C. Ward
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival - Velma Wallis
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 10 - Bon Om Touk, Task 4 (Moonlighting Book Characters)

The Complete Sherlock Holmes -  Arthur Conan Doyle Nights At The Circus - Sarah Waters, Angela Carter The Colour of Magic  - Terry Pratchett

Three moonlighting characters:

1. Dr. John Watson:  The good doctor actually has a full-time practice as an MD -- which doesn't stop him from routinely going sleuthing with London's self-declared "only consulting detectivie", however.

Since "moonlighting" is built into the character profile of pretty much every amateur detective (and if not into theirs, at the very least into that of their sidekicks), I could probably just go on listing cozy mysteries ... but just to keep it varied, I'll add instead:

2. Jack Walser: Journalist by trade, who joins Sophie Fevvers's circus and moonlights there as a clown in order to be able to finish Sophie's biography (and just generally be close to her) in Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus.

3. Rincewind: Discworld's most hapless wizard, who is pressed into moonlighting as Twoflower's (and his luggage's) tourist guide in Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic.