9073

Thomas McNamee, Bob Reed
Collection: The Tailor of Panama / Our Game / The Night Manager
John le Carré
Thomas McNamee
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
Sam Kean
Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

So kam der Mensch auf den Hund - Konrad Lorenz
Arctic Dreams - Barry Lopez
The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present - Phillip Lopate, Various Authors
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 11 - Russian Mother's Day, Task 1 (Mother of All Writerly Sins)

The mother of all writerly sins, in my book, is simply to annoy or to bore me.  I know that sounds awfully general, but that's what it comes down to -- it can be a trope, or too self-involved writing (looking at you, Dr. Brusatte and Ms. Wright), or sloppy editing or research, or too much stuffing, or too much telling instead of showing, or simply bad grammar ... any and all of these will set off my inner ranting reviewer.  I may not actually bother to write a review, even if I finish the book (which isn't a given), but I'll remember the reading experience, and even if I may eventually try another book by the same author -- which isn't a given, either -- (s)he will be up against a considerable bias on my part.