10823

Currently Reading

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
Tom Reiss, Paul Michael
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Recently Added

Blindsight - Peter Watts
A First-Class Temperament: The Emergence of Franklin Roosevelt, 1905-1928 - Geoffrey C. Ward
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival - Velma Wallis
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 11 - Russian Mother's Day, Task 2 (Mother's Day Memory)

I usually give my mom a bouquet of flowers and take her out for lunch or dinner on Mother's Day.  One occasion I remember particularly well is when a few years ago we took a trip to a place just south of Bonn, where there is a museum and, right below, the place's former train station has been transformed into a restaurant.  It was a gloriously sunny day in May, and we very much enjoyed our food and the views of the Rhine Valley.

The museum (designed by the same architect as the Getty in Los Angeles, Richard Meier) and the train-station-turned-restaurant

The view from our table on the restaurant's terrace

Lunch -- asparagus, as matching the season

... and that year's bouquet
(as always, with hand-picked flowers, not prebound at the store)