9648

Recently Added

The Saltmarsh Murders - Gladys Mitchell
Whose Body? - Dorothy L. Sayers, Mark Meadows
Women Warriors - Pamela D. Toler
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 21 - Kwanzaa, Task 3 (Visiting Africa)

Thinking about this task, I realize that quite a few African destinations are sitting on my travel bucket list.

I've been to Tunisia and I've done the big "must see" things in Egypt, but I'd still love to return to Egypt one day and see some of the remaining sights; particularly Alexandria, Mount Sinai/St. Catherine's Monastery, Abydos, Dendera, Deir el-Medina/Medinet Habu, and Al Fayoum/Meidum.

I'd also like to see Morocco (Marrakech, Fes, Benhaddou, Essaouira, Merzouga Dunes and, if only for sentimental reasons, Casablanca).

Most of all, though, I'd like to visit Southern and Sub-Saharan Africa one day, particularly:

* South Africa (Cape Town / Table Mountain / Western Cape, Garden Route, Kruger National Park / Sabi Sand Game Reserve, and various other parks and reserves -- e.g., Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Karoo National Park, Addo Elephant National Park, and Phinda Game Reserve)

* Tanzania (Serengeti, Mount Kilimanjaro, Zanzibar, Ngorongoro Crater)

* Kenya (Maasai Mara, Lake Victoria)

* Victoria Falls (border of Zambia & Zimbabwe)

* Namibia (Etosha National Park, Sossusvlei Dunes, Spitzkoppe, Skeleton Coast)

* Botswana (Kalahari Game Reserve, Okavango Delta, Tsodilo Hills, Nxia Pan National Park, Makgadikgadi Pans - in winter)

* Virunga Mountains Gorilla Conservation Area (Uganda / Rwanda / D.R. Congo)

* Madagascar

* Seychelles or Mauritius

All of which, I suspect, is going to call for more than one trip ...

(Images sources: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.)