10823

Currently Reading

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
Tom Reiss, Paul Michael
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Recently Added

Blindsight - Peter Watts
A First-Class Temperament: The Emergence of Franklin Roosevelt, 1905-1928 - Geoffrey C. Ward
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival - Velma Wallis
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

24 Festive Tasks: Door 22 - New Year's Eve, Task 2 (2018 in Reading Review, or, The Year of Listening to Mystery Audiobooks by Women Writers)

2018 Statistics

Total number of books read in 2018: 225

Number of as-yet unread books added to "owned books" TBR in 2018: 240

-- plus the 100 or so Audible downloads that I haven't even added to my BookLikes shelves yet.

So the ratio of buying vs. reading is seriously off this year.  (Last year, I read almost 40 books more than remained unread on my "owned books" TBR of the books added over the course of the year.)

Nevertheless, I am very happy with my reading year: very few of my reads were 3 stars or less, I didn't expect I'd even make it to 200 books (so I actually read more than expected), I finished my Women Writers project, and compared to last year, my stats have come out on the "right" side in every aspect I primarily looked at -- I read more women authors than men, and more new books than rereads:

In summary, I guess you can call this my year of listening to mystery audiobooks chiefly written by women writers ... which is fine, though, and in a way even what I expected this year to be.

In fact, I'm expecting to continue reading many more mysteries in 2019 as well -- I'd like to complete my "inofficial" Detection Club Bingo reads for one thing, I'm planning to read more Golden Age mysteries republished as part of the British Library Crime Classics and Collins Crime club series, and I'm likely going to join Wanda and Moonlight at least for parts of "A Study in Sherlock" / "Summer of Sherlock".  But I'm also planning to reprise my Women Writers challenge, however with a twist along the lines of the "Around the World in 80 Books" group on Goodreads.

All in all, if 2019 turns out even half as good as 2018 has been (even against the odds in some respects), I'll color myself extremely lucky.