10871

Merlin Trilogy
Mary Stewart
Progress: 612/928 pages

Recently Added

The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm (Norton Critical Editions) - Jack Zipes
Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves - Jack Zipes, Various Authors
The Broken God - David Zindell
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Crowdsourced History Reading -- TA's List No. 1: Bulk Entries and Basics

The Weaker Vessel: Woman's Lot in Seventeenth-Century England - Antonia Fraser The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation - Ian Mortimer Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty - Dan Jones Shakespeare: For All Time - Stanley Wells The Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean - John Julius Norwich The Rise And Fall Of The House Of Medici - Christopher Hibbert Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - Jared Diamond The Story of Civilization - Will Durant, Ariel Durant Encyclopedia of World History - Oxford University Press Putzger: Historischer Weltatlas - Ernst Bruckmüller, Walter Leisering, Friedrich Wilhelm Putzger, Michael Ackermann, Bruno Mègre, Rudolf Berg, Manfred Vasold, Peter Claus Hartmann, Jochen Grube, Martin Clauss, Bernd Isphording, Stephan Warnatsch, Christina Böttcher, Hans Weymar, René Betker, Ralf Kasper

I'm going to split up my submissions for the crowdsourced history reading list initiated by Chris into several topical lists (with cross references), beginning with the authors and book series I'm submitting in toto, as well as some basic reference material.  So:

ALL BOOKS BY ...
* Antonia Fraser (women's history, Tudors & Stuarts)
* Ian Mortimer (British history, particularly Middle Ages)
* Dan Jones (ditto)
* Stanley Wells (Shakespeare -- everything from biographies and history to criticism)
* John Julius Norwich (British and Mediterranean history)

* Christopher Hibbert (ditto)
* Jared Diamond (intersection of (world) history, geography, and sociology)

SERIES
* Will Durant, Ariel Durant: The Story of Civilization (11 volumes, Ancient Orient to Age of Napoleon)

* Various Authors: Fischer Weltgeschichte (published elsewhere as Weidenfeld & Nicolson Universal History / Siglo XXI Editores Historia Universal / Storia Universale Feltrinelli, and Bordas / Fayard Histoire Universelle, respectively) (36 vols., prehistory to present day)

BASIC REFERENCE
* Oxford Encyclopedia of World History
* Putzger Atlas der Weltgeschichte (unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge not translated into English -- but for my money, one of the best historical cartographical works in existence)