8673

Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

Blowback - Valerie Plame Wilson, Sarah Lovett, Negin Farsad
In Defense of a Liberal Education - Fareed Zakaria
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Dixie, Dirt and a Determined Daughter

Mississippi Mud: Southern Justice and the Dixie Mafia - Edward Humes

"Mississippi Mud" is, as author Edward Humes's introductory words explain, the name of that particular kind of poker where the cards themselves become irrelevant and the only thing that really counts is the ability to bluff and betray. It is also the name of a sweet, rich pie made from chocolate, eggs, sugar, vanilla and corn syrup (and according to some recipes, vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream). In this book, "Mississippi Mud" is Humes's term of reference for the loosely organized group of people otherwise known as the "Dixie Mafia," whose members not so long ago used to leave traces of their unsavory plots all over the "Old South," from Louisiana to Texas and beyond. And one day in September 1987, their activities hit home in the Gulf Coast resort city of Biloxi, Mississippi.

Read more on my own website, ThemisAthena.info.

Preview also cross-posted on Leafmarks.

Source: http://www.themisathena.info/literature/law-politics.html#MississippiMud