8672

Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

In Defense of a Liberal Education - Fareed Zakaria
Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Reblogged from "I'll think of a damn title later" -- this can't be said often enough.

Christina Wilder's notes: Someone may have already posted this brilliant piece on the whole GR thing, but it's amazing so I'm posting it here, because this parts sums it all up beautifully:

"Calling an author’s craft lacking or critiquing the finer points of their haphazard spelling and grammar in a book is not the same thing as a young woman of color sitting in a cafeteria hearing a group of kids around her call her the N-word, calling her skin color “dirty” every day for a single month, so much that she has to change schools and the bus she rides to escape it.  (The latter is bullying.)

Calling an author out on a plagiarism is not the same thing as a gentleman being videotaped while showering, only to have the video posted on Youtube for the world to see and be subjected to criticisms on his body hair or penis size, or the being questioned about aspects of his sexuality. (The latter is bullying.)

An author getting a 1 or 2 star review before publication, with the unpaid, lay reviewer who’s just using the Goodreads service to catalogue his interest in books, and who isn’t required to write a review is NOT the same thing as a young woman getting bombarded with messages of “slut, bitch, whore” in her locker everyday just because she has a crush on or shares a kiss with someone popular of the same or opposite sex.  (The latter is bullying.)"

More here: http://rosepetals1984.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/soapbox-saturday-et-tu-goodreads/

Reblogged from I'll think of a damn title later