7819

Tony Riches
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently Added

The Last Alchemist in Paris: & Other Curious Tales from Chemistry - Lars Ohrstrom
Monstrous Little Voices: Five New Stories from Shakespeare's Fantastic World - Adrian Tchaikovsky, Jonathan Barnes, Emma Newman, Foz Meadows, Kate Heartfield
End In Tears: (A Wexford Case) - Ruth Rendell
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Find me elsewhere:
My Leafmarks Profile
Project Hamlet

Forbes: We Need An XPrize For Online Reviews And Comments

Do we really, though?  I'm all in favor of online forums listening to their reviewers' suggestions -- and Ammy and GR are in the mess they're currently in, at least to a very substantial extent, because they did far too little listening and far too much blindly imposing their own policies.  And I also think that a software algorithm proactively weeding out fake/bought reviews and sock puppetry would be an important contribution to the solution.

But is this all there is to it (what about flame wars arising out of authors responding to negative reviews, for example) -- and do websites have no alternative but to throw big money at their users and let them essentially come up with a solution in their stead?