Snow Globes: Reads
Task the First: The Winter Wonderland:
- Reading: A book that is set in a snowy place.
- Activity: Take a walk outside and post a picture of something pretty you encountered on your way.
=> A Visit to Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market
Task the Second: The Silent Nights:
- Reading: A book set in one of the Nordic countries.
- Activity: Hygge: Put on your fuzziest socks, light a candle, and spend some time (reading) in front of the fireplace or your coziest nook. Post a picture if you want.
Task the Third: The Holiday Party:
- Reading: A book where a celebration is a big part of the action.
=> Rex Stout: And Four to Go
- Activity: Make something that is considered party food where you are from, and post a picture of it on Booklikes.
Task the Fourth: The Gift Card:
- Reading: A book that you either received as a gift or have given as a gift.
- Activity: Give a book to a friend and post a picture of the wrapped present.
Task the Fifth: The Kwanzaa:
- Reading: A book written by an African-American author or set in an African country.
- Activity: Make a donation to a charitable organization that operates in Africa.
Task the Sixth: The Hanukkah:
- Reading: Let the dreidel choose a book for you.
נ Nun (miracle): Christopher Paolini - Eldest (audio version read by Kerry Shale)
ג Gimel (great): Arthur Conan Doyle - The Valley of Fear (audio version read by Simon Vance)
ה He (happened): Ian Rankin - Even Dogs in the Wild
- Activity: Make a traditional Hanukkah food like doughnuts or potato latkes. Post a picture, or tell us how they turned out.
=> Latkes (Kartoffelpuffer / Reibekuchen), courtesy of Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market
Task the Seventh: The Christmas:
- Reading: A book set during the Christmas holiday season.
- Activity: Set up a Christmas bookstagram-style scene with favorite holiday reads, objects or decorations. Possibly also a cat.
Task the Eighth: The Movie Ticket:
- Reading: A book that has been adapted to a holiday movie.
- Activity: Go see a new theater release this holiday season (this does not have to be a holiday movie).
Task the Ninth: The Happy New Year:
- Reading: (A coming of age novel or) any old favorite comfort read
=> Charles Dickens: A Christmas Carol (audio version performed by Patrick Stewart)
- Activity: Post a holiday picture of yourself from your childhood or youth.
=> Task the Ninth, Part 2
Task the Tenth: The Holiday Down Under:
- Activity: Buy some Christmas crackers (or make your own) to add to your festivities and share some pictures.
Task the Eleventh: The Polar Express:
- Reading: A book that involves train travel.
=> Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express
- Activity: Read a classic holiday book from your childhood, or tell a story about a childhood Christmas you'd like to share.
=> Hans Christian Andersen: The Snow Queen
Task the Twelfth: The Wassail Bowl:
- Reading: A book set in the UK, preferably during the medieval or Victorian periods.
=> Mary Stewart: The Crystal Cave
- Activity: Drink a festive, holiday beverage; take a picture of your drink, and post it to share - make it as festive as possible.
=> Mulled wine (Glühwein), courtesy of Cologne Cathedral Christmas Market